Coq au Vin
I have made this dish once a week for the past month or so. Don’t be put off by the amount of garlic - it gives the most amazing flavour and will ward off cold and flus. I ask the butcher to joint the chicken for me, so one less job to to. This dish is so much better made a day in advance.
- 1 large free range, jointed into 8 - ask your butcher to do this
- 250g diced streaky bacon
- 2 carrots diced
- Most of a bottle of red wine
- 12 Bay leaves
- 3 whole heads of garlic, broken into cloves - skin left on
- 250g button mushrooms - small ones left whole are best
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pan and fry the chicken pieces until golden and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy based casserole and fry the bacon pieces until golden, then add the wine, bay leaves, garlic, chilli, return the chicken to the pot and cook for a further 30 minutes over a gentle heat.
- Pan fry the mushrooms in a little olive oil and add to the chicken for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- This dish is best prepared the day before and reheated.
Serve with mashed potato.
Labels: Main Course