Mincemeat And Almond Shortbread
For the base
175g chilled butter, diced
75g caster sugar
150g plain flour (gluten-free flour can be substituted here)
1 tsp baking powder
100g ground almonds
4 medium eggs separated
For the topping
100g flaked almonds
Icing sugar for dusting
- If you find pastry difficult to make or just don’t like making it you will love this recipe. A buttery, almond base, topped with delicious mincemeat and crunchy almonds. A good quality mincemeat is paramount to the success and flavour.
- Line a 20x23cm baking tin. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees/gas 3.
- Separate the eggs.
- For the base: blitz the butter, flour, baking powder, ground almonds and sugar in a food processor until the mix achieves a crumb like consistency. Add in the egg yolks and mix well until you get a sticky dough.
- Press the dough into the base of the prepared tin (I usually place parchment paper over the top and press and smooth the dough with my fingers or the back of a spoon). Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden - it will rise slightly.
- For the topping: whisk the egg whites until stiff in a clean stainless steel bowl, fold in the mincemeat and half the almonds. Smooth this mixture over the almond base and scatter the remaining almonds on top.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the mixture is a light golden colour. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes then transfer to a wire rack, peeling the paper off the base.
- Cut in 12 squares, dust with icing sugar before serving. This will keep for several days in a tin.
Food Styling: Leona Humphreys, One Fine Plate
Labels: Bread And Cakes